Mars Rover Challenge - Teamwork Game Kit
Mars Rover Challenge (formerly Mars Surface Rover) provides a powerful, unique hands-on experience that allows participants to connect with the concept of collaboration at a deep and personal level. Participants are immersed in a team construction activity, whereby they are tasked by the World Space Agency to build a prototype rover for traversing Mars’ rocky terrain. The Teamwork version is designed to help individuals become more effective team members by allowing them to experience the differences between working collaboratively and working in "silos".
The program is ideal for established teams who are looking to increase their productivity, efficiency, and innovation and who may need to break free from unhealthy work habits. It is equally well suited for new teams who are striving to integrate collaboration into their developing team dynamic. This version introduces basic concepts such as interdependence, common goals, and diversity with an unconventional simulation.
How it Works
In the Teamwork version, the game is split into two rounds. In both rounds participants work in teams to construct a rover, but with varying approaches to work. In the first round, they simulate working in "silos" as they withhold information and complete their assigned tasks individually. In the second round, participants simulate working collaboratively as they communicate information and tasks openly and work together to design the rover they think has the best chance of completing its mission. The end result in each round usually is markedly different, and the process and outcomes make for lively discussion and usually quite a few "Ah-Ahs!" as they realize the effects the two different approaches to work have on morale, motivation, and performance.
The Teamwork Game Kit includes all of the required components to facilitate the game, as well as an initial supply of workbooks for up to 18 participants.
For sessions with more than 3 teams, you may order an extra team pack.
All components except for the participant workbooks are reusable – although, additional workbooks can be individually purchased.
Approx. 4 hours 25 minutes
- Practice functioning in silos and contrast this experience with working collaboratively.
- Understand why silos weaken team performance and undermine the overall organization.
- Explore why collaborative teamwork is the best approach for long-term success.
- Create an individual plan to minimize silos and increase collaboration.
- 1 Facilitator Guide in a Binder
- 3 Game Parts Bags with K’NEX® Pieces
- 1 Clear Plastic Wallet with Extra K’NEX® Pieces
- 18 Workbooks
- 12 Price Lists
- 6 Blueprints
- 3 Sets of 6 Task Cards
- 1 USB FLASH DRIVE (CLICK FOR LIST OF INCLUDED FILES)
- 1 Tote Bag
Versions of Game:
- Mars Rover Challenge - Leadership Game Kit
- Mars Rover Challenge - Deluxe Game Kit (contains both Leadership and Teamwork versions)
- Mars Rover Challenge - Teamwork Workbook
- Mars Rover Challenge - Teamwork Extra Game Pack
- Mars Rover Challenge - Poster
- Mars Rover Challenge - Que Card